On Tuesday, August 26, 2014, Ordain Women and Equal in Faith invite women and men of all faiths to mark National Women’s Equality Day by joining a day-long social media campaign to draw attention to the marginalization of women in our faith communities and highlight the need for gender justice in religion.
1. Tweet or post a photo and/or a message on your Facebook page that includes the hashtag #equalinfaith and express your hope for religious gender equality. Be sure to make your post public. You can use one of the following suggestions or write your own.
– I support #equalinfaith
– Women of faith stand for equality #equalinfaith
– I am a feminist of faith #equalinfaith
2. Visit the Equal in Faith website, which will launch on August 26, and help spread the word about Equal in Faith inititiatives, including plans for our interfaith fast for gender justice in religion on March 8, 2015.
3. Throughout the next few months, join local Equal in Faith coalitions, which will begin meeting regionally to plan for the March 8 Equal in Faith fast. The Salt Lake City meet up, for example, is from 7:00-8:30 PM on Tuesday, August 26, 2014, at the Salt Lake Buddhist Temple, 211 W 100 S, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101. Stay tuned for more regional meet-up information.
Our hope is that interfaith events like the August 26 social media campaign and the Equal in Faith fast in March will underscore our belief in the ability of religion to liberate rather than subjugate women. At a time when many are leaving organized religion, we want to ignite an interfaith conversation about maintaining what we value in our religious traditions while transforming them into more inclusive, equitable and welcoming communities.