Ordain Women and people of many faiths will mark International Women’s Day on Sunday March 8, 2015, by joining together in a global, interfaith fast and social media campaign (#EqualinFaith) for gender justice and the equality of women in their faith communities. Called Equal in Faith, the day-long fast and social media campaign will culminate in interfaith prayer services and regional gatherings in several cities across a number of continents. Details about regional gatherings—including those in Salt Lake City, Denver, and Washington, DC—as well as online participation are on the Equal in Faith website, equalinfaith.org, and on Facebook.
Sponsored by Ordain Women, the Women’s Ordination Conference (Roman Catholic), and Ordain Women Now (Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod), Equal in Faith embraces the official theme of International Women’s Day 2015, “Make it Happen,” as a call for all people of faith to stand with women everywhere in the struggle for equality.
How can you participate?
1. Tweet or post a photo and/or a message on your Facebook page that includes the hashtag #equalinfaith and express your hope for religious gender equality. Be sure to make your post public. You can use one of the following suggestions or write your own.
– I support #equalinfaith
– Women of faith stand for equality #equalinfaith
– I am a feminist of faith #equalinfaith
2. Visit the Equal in Faith website, like the Equal in Faith Facebook page, and help spread the word about the Equal in Faith Fast on Sunday, March 8.
3. Attend an Equal of Faith break-the-fast gathering in your area, host a gathering of friends at your home, or participate virtually.
Our hope is that interfaith events like the Equal in Faith fast will underscore our belief in the ability of religion to liberate rather than subjugate women. We want to ignite an interfaith conversation about maintaining what we value in our religious traditions while transforming them into more inclusive, equitable and welcoming communities.