Based on the principle of thoughtful, faith-affirming strategic action, Ordain Women aspires to create a space for Mormon women to articulate issues of gender inequality they may be hesitant to raise alone. As a group we intend to put ourselves in the public eye in order to call attention to the need for the ordination of Mormon women to the priesthood and ask our leaders to prayerfully consider women’s ordination.
Last year, in October, we gathered together as sisters and brothers in the gospel and waited in the stand-by line to request admittance to the general priesthood session of the Church. You can see a short movie about the action here, and you can read about the experiences of women who attended the October action here.
Join us on April 5th
In order to demonstrate our steadfastness and our continued desire for Mormon women to be ordained, we will reconvene on April 5 once again to request admittance to the general priesthood session.
On Saturday, April 5, 2014, at 4:00 p.m., we will meet at Salt Lake’s City Creek Park (110 N. State Street). Following a brief devotional, we will walk together to Temple Square and request to be admitted to the priesthood session. If admitted, we will attend and then return to City Creek Park to celebrate this historic event. If we are not admitted, we will reconvene at City Creek Park and listen together to the priesthood session on portable electronic devices.
For additional information about this upcoming action, visit our April 5th Priesthood Session Action FAQ section here. If you want to know more about the other likely participants, you can refer to these survey results from many of the participants from the October action here.
While Ordain Women will continue to plan in-person direct actions, we are not planning to repeat this action again for at least several years, if ever. This is the time you need to make it work, if you want to be there with us.
What You Can Do
If you want to join us in person, please do the following:
1. RSVP to the Facebook event.
2. If you are hesitant to RSVP publicly on the Facebook page, please RSVP here.
3. If you want to apply to receive financial assistance with travel funds, please follow the instructions provided at this page.
4. Plan to attend the training meeting on Friday, April 4th at The University of Utah, Orson Spencer Hall (260 Central Campus Dr.). View a map of the location here and RSVP here and fast for us.
The first segment of the training will be from 5:00-7:15 p.m. and will be a pot luck dinner followed by group discussions to help us get to know each other and talk about supporting the ordination of women. The second segment will be from 7:30-9:00 p.m. and will contain specific details and instructions for the April 5th action. If you cannot attend either session, you can view the timeline and basic information of the April 5th action that will be discussed at the training here.
5. If you need a ride or can provide a ride, please sign up for carpools at our Ricky Rides site.
6. If you need housing for the action, please email email@example.com
7. If you need babysitting so that you can attend the action, complete the following form.
If you can’t join us in person, please consider showing your support in one or more of the following ways:
1. Consider making a donation to help someone else attend in person by visiting our fundraising page. Every little bit helps! We are also accepting donations of sky miles.
2. Submit your name to be carried by proxy by filling out the information at this link.
3. Submit a profile to our website by following the instructions here.
4. Change your profile pic on Facebook by following the instructions here.
5. If you are in the Salt Lake area and can provide babysitting so that another sister can attend the action, please complete the following form.
6. If you are in the Salt Lake area and are able to provide housing to a sister who is visiting from afar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of what you are able to provide.
7. “Like” the Ordain Women Facebook page here.
8. Consider fasting and praying for the sisters and brothers who will be there in person.